jQuery Web Design Training Course Overview
This jQuery course for beginners, is a shorter, more intensive alternative to our 2-day jQuery Fundamentals course.
As a consequence, this chunk of JQuery training covers less ground than the ‘Fundamentals’ course and provides considerably less opportunity for practical work.
While the course is potentially 'do-able' by front-end web designers with little or no previous programming experience, we would tend to steer such students towards jQuery Fundamentals instead. Since the latter course has more time for both practical work and for developing a fuller understanding of what are likely to be unfamiliar concepts for non-programmers.
Course contents — 1 Introduction and overview
- jQuery? — what is it, and what's it for?
- Alternatives to jQuery
- Features, overview
- Get started — downloading, installing and configuration
- Exercises — a basic jQuery page
Course contents — 2 Selecting/extracting content
- Simple jQuery selectors
- Form selection
- Filtering selectors
- Attribute filters
- Content filters
- Visibility filters
- Page traversal
- Chaining statements
Course contents — 3 Content manipulation
Course contents — 4 Event-handling
- The jQuery event object
- The jQuery event model
- Bind functions — connecting to elements
- Unbind functions — disconnect from elements
- Click, hover, and toggle functions
- Other common functions for handling events
- E.g. type, target, data, timestamp, pageX and pageY, result, etc.
- A single-event to bind
- Trigger and triggerHandler
Course contents — 5 jQuery Animations & effects
- Show, hide, toggle
- Fade in, out, and to
- Slide up, down, toggle
- The animate and stop functions
On completion of this jQuery training course, you should be able to:
- Understand where jQuery fits in the web design toolset
- Use jQuery to select, extract, manipulate and insert web content, markup and CSS
- Use jQuery selectors, filters and functions appropriately
- Handle user-driven and data-driven page events using jQuery
- Create, control and customise jQuery animations
- Experienced CSS-based web designers
- Developers and programmers with some CSS and HTML experience
These 2 HTML and CSS training courses — or equivalent knowledge and experience:
This jQuery training course, is instructor-led and intensive. It contains hands-on practical exercises, but typically devotes less time to them than most of our other web design courses — certainly less than half of the contact time.
Relatively homogenous, and technically-minded, private groups can make more time for exercises, by progressing more quickly through the instructional elements of the course. But there is still only so much time in a day.